If you are a Carer or are being cared for please inform the Reception team so that we can update your records with this information and add you to our Carer’s register.
This means we can also provide you with useful information about local support, clubs and groups, activities and counselling.
You can also visit these useful websites that contain a wealth of information:-
Current local activities and groups
Click to view table of local groups and activities (.pdf 427KB)
Southend Carers understand that caring is very demanding and at times extremely stressful.
They can offer up to 12 FREE counselling sessions where you can talk freely and in confidence about your situation. Call them now on 01702 393933 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Other useful information
Changing Place toilets
If you are planning to travel outside your local area and are unable to use standard accessible toilets then visit http://changingplaces.uktoiletmap.org to view the Changing Places map will quickly show you all the Changing Places toilet locations along your route.
Thousands of people with profound and multiple learning disabilities cannot use standard accessible toilets. They need support from one or two carers to use the toilet or to have their continence pad changed. Standard accessible toilets do not provide changing benches or hoists. Most are too small to accommodate more than one person. Without Changing Places toilets, the person with disabilities is put at risk, and families are forced to risk their own health and safety by changing their daughter or son on a toilet floor.
Changing Places toilets are different to standard disabled toilets with extra features and more space to meet these needs. Each Changing Places toilet provides:
The right equipment:
- A height adjustable adult-sized changing bench.
- A tracking hoist system, or mobile hoist if this is not possible.
- Adequate space in the changing area for the disabled person and up to two carers.
- A centrally placed toilet with room either side for the carers.
- A screen or curtain to allow the disabled person and Carer some privacy.
A safe and clean environment:
- Wide tear off paper roll to cover the bench.
- A large waste bin for disposable pads.
- A non-slip floor.
Visitor attractions and leisure facilities may offer discounts to you and the person you care for. Get in touch with them, just give them a ring before you go and find out what help they can offer you. Visitor attractions should offer you free entry if you are supporting the person you care for.
Southend Advantage Card
The Southend Advantage Card is a scheme that gives you discounts and reduced rates on a range of activities and it is FREE to get for Carers offering discounts of up to 50%!
It offers ongoing value for money and is exclusive to residents living within the Borough of Southend-on-Sea.
Where can I use it?
The card can be used at the following venues within the Borough:
- Belfairs Golf Course
- Belfairs Swim Centre
- Chase Sports & Fitness Centre
- Foreshore Moorings
- Shoeburyness Leisure Centre
- Southend Leisure & Tennis Centre
- Southend Pier
- Outdoor Bowls (category C only)
- The Biz (school holiday scheme)
- Arts Team Concert Series
- Cliffs Pavilion (category C on selected performances only)
- Hatton Jewellery (Leigh)
The Southend Advantage Card offers you:
- reduced prices for a range of activities such as swimming, golf, outdoor bowls and concerts*
- access to special promotions and additional discounts for certain special events
- discounted rates for donated seats
- free equipment hire at our leisure centres for concessionary groups
- you can use your Advantage Card as a deposit for equipment (including racquet hire)
- free entry as a spectator at our leisure centres
- discounts at a variety of shops and organisations
- discounted rates for 'The Biz' school holiday activities
Follow this link to complete the application form: https://my.southend.gov.uk/portal/f?p=1030:category_link:::::CUID,LANG:D6C0A0DE80E91F2433AD2E05314B01A8EC0A0FEB,EN&P_LANG=en